Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Trek Across The World: Mission Complete

Updates...

February 28, 2011: Day 23
Today was a difficult Monday. For some reason I was just superly tired; I think those little ninos wear me out! Today was also a day of great reflection for me. I took some time this evening to totally seclude myself and talk with God about all of the things on my heart and just pour out to Him. It's so comforting to me that  He is always there to listen and cares more than anyone else ever could (:

Though sorrow may last through the night, joy comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5

March 1, 2011: Day 24
I did awake this morning with more joy in my heart than when I went to bed last night. My constant prayer this morning is that God would continue to fill my heart with joy in everything. With each passing day and my time with the kids I fall more and more in love with them and realize just how hard leaving is going to be. A very cool thing about today was that the DTS speakers of the week (Rachel's parents) asked if they could pray over me, and in addition they told me that they had gotten Word from God about me. I have never been prophesied over, but what each of them told me was spot on with the worries that has been weighing so heavily upon my heart last night. Now, to me, that isn't just coincidence...that's God. Hearing their words just gave such comfort to my soul and made me see how much the Lord really does care about me.

March 2, 2011: Day 24
Today I started off in not the best of moods. I got the biggest pang of missing home that I have ever felt since being here, I dropped and shattered a plate at lunch, and my emotions were crazy. I finally got myself together after lunch and regained my joy and passion as soon as I got to class; I have to embrace every moment with those kids! We also has a killer game of baseball before dinner...my team won (:

March 3, 2011: Day 25
Today, in my morning class, I was greeted so enthusiastically with "Hola profe!" (hello teacher) and many hugs! Also, we reviewed everything that I had taught since being here, and the kids remember so much! I was thoroughly pleased. This afternoon was my last class with the kids, so we had some candy and games and I had to say my final goodbyes to them which just broke my heart. Being that this afternoon was also the DTS's free afternoon, a group of us went out to get some ice cream and just get off of the base...these are the friends that have become my family and I will miss so much. I also sat in on one of the DTS classes today and it was really fantastic, about pleasing God. The lesson really got me thinking about what I am doing with my life and if the tasks I am striving to accomplish are things that are going to be lasting in heaven. I just want God to be pleased with my life more than anything.




Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their work:
If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!"
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

March 4, 2011: Day 26
My morning class was so great today, like always. They made me a big card in which each nino stenciled a picture and attempted to write their name, and also one little girl made a special card for me with a picture of herself a a Bible verse in it. We had ice cream and candy and just a fun day, the end of this class too was very difficult for me. My heart breaks for leaving. On a more positive note, we had children's ministry this afternoon so I got to see many of the kids one last time. Also, before dinner we got a fun game of volleyball going which felt really good to partake in. Because it was family night, dinner was kind of special. We all ate outside under the pavilion and it was delicious! After dinner we still had many festivities to come: team building games, a special dancer, worshiping Jesus together, a short message, being prayer over by one of the DTS girls, receiving a gift from Martita and being prayed over by Cori and all of the children, DTS vs. School of the Bible games, a pinata  especially for my leaving, clean-up, and a dance party. Overall this was a simply fantastic day!!




March 5, 2011: Day 27
My last day today. Andy, Veronica, and I left after brunch today to head for Messiah to do a little bit of gift purchasing. It was really nice to be off the base for a while today. When we got back to the base I was informed that I had about 20 minuted to get packed and be ready to be picked up to head for Managua for the night. I literally threw all of my dirty clothes in heaps in to my suitcase, which had some trouble closing. The biggest bummer was the realization that all of the DTS girls had gone to Jinotepe for the afternoon and I wouldn't get to say goodbye to them. A few sad goodbyes and a peanut butter and banana sandwich later and we were headed off the base and towards Managua. We attended a church service and they prayed over me, which was a good feeling...that even people who don't even know me care about me so much just because I am their sister in Christ (:

March 6, 2011: Homeward Bound
Awoke - 4:00 am
Left the house - 4:30 am
Cost of the taxi ride - 220 cordobas
Time standing in line for baggage check - 40 min
Current emotions:
       1. super sad
       2. nervous
       3. homesick
       4. excited
Arrival time to Houston - 10:25 am
Arrival time to Chicago - 3:50 pm
Arrival time to Wausau - 7:10 pm
Those greeting me upon my return:
     -Mom
     -Dad
     -Levi
     -Kylie (birthday girl)
     -Jaci
     -Alyssa

(A few) Things I learned from this trip:
  • I am never alone, God is always with me
  • I am so fortunate (to have a fantastic bed, flushing toilets, hot water, and washing and drying machines to name a few!)
  • Teaching English as a foreign language is something that I truly enjoy
  • Nicaragua will always be in my heart
  • Platanos are stinkin' amazing
  • Latinos speak insanely fast
  • As sad as I was to come home, I now understand that God is going to continue to use me in bigger ways than I even know; and the impact that those people had on my during my time in Nicaragua will forever be a part of me <3

Love always,
Hanna Linden





2 comments: